Posted May 3rd, 2016 by Miss Rizzo
Dear Lakeview Families,
April included many special events like field trips and our talent show. The performers were amazing!! Thank you to all of our families that came to cheer for our students. It is hard to believe that May is already here. We have more special events to look forward to like the rocket launch for our rocketry club and school traditions like field day. Please take a moment to read our newsletter by clicking here May 2016 Newsletter or additional events and information.
This week we celebrate our amazingly hard working staff during Teacher Appreciation Week. Both Mrs. Tarasiuk and I feel extremely fortunate to work alongside such a dedicated and talented staff of educators, and we have no doubt our parent community feels the same. Our generous PTA has planned a week of treats for our staff to enjoy. Thank you PTA for taking the time to recognize our staff in special ways.
As we enter the month of May, we will be wrapping up our assessments for this school year. This week, Wednesday May 4th, all fifth grade students will be completing a state-wide science assessment (ISA), which consists of one session given on the computer.
Between May 9th and May 17th, all students (Kindergarten – 6th grade) will complete the spring MAP assessment, one in reading and one in math given on separate days.
Registration for the 16-17 school year is now past due. Please complete and submit registration materials mailed home so we can be sure to have all students placed properly for the upcoming school year. Unfortunately, we will not be able to place students into classes without all necessary information on file. Please contact the main office for questions at 847-357-6600.
Schaumburg Parent University – May Classes:
Schaumburg Parent University (SPU) is designed to involve more parents in the life of the school, to strengthen family relationships, and to improve parenting skills that will ultimately result in improved student success academically, socially and emotionally. There are two upcoming evening programs.
- The Importance of Family Meetings: District 54 Psychologist Liz Perez will discuss how family meetings teach kids problem-solving communication, strengthen family bonds and much more. This discussion for adults only will be held from 5:30 to 7 p.m. May 4 in the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg. Childcare is available. This presentation will be in Spanish.
- Keeping Your Kids (and You) from Going Crazy This Summer: Licensed Clinical Professional Therapist Meghan Reitz will highlight ways to bridge the transition from the school year to summer. This discussion for adults only will be held from 6 to 7 p.m. May 18 in the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg. Childcare is available.
If you are interested in attending these events, please click on the links above or visit the Schaumburg Parent University website at http://sd54.org/spu.
Communities for Positive Youth Development Town Hall Meeting – May 18
The Communities for Positive Youth Development Coalition, of which District 54 is a member, is hosting a Town Hall Meeting on Positive Youth Development from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Trickster Native Art Gallery, 190 S. Roselle Road in Schaumburg. /Museum. Parents and students are invited to learn about the work the coalition is doing to address the prevention of underage drinking, teen pregnancy and substance abuse. For more information about the coalition visit www.cpydcoalition.org. To register for the town hall meeting, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join D54 Foundation at Schaumburg Boomers Game – May 20
Please join the District 54 Foundation for the Opening Night game at the Schaumburg Boomers Stadium at 6:30 p.m. Friday, May 20, 2016. For each ticket sold, $5 will be donated to the Foundation to support students in School District 54. Some of the Foundation’s current initiatives include
- Grants for students to participate in extracurricular activities,
- Breakfast programs for children from low-income households, and
- Educational enrichment opportunities through STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) after-school programs.
Tickets cost $11 and include free parking and post-game fireworks. In addition, children in attendance are invited to run the bases at the ballpark. To order tickets visit www.boomersbaseball.com/dist54 and enter promo code 2016d54; or click here to print out the District 54 Boomers Form and mail it to the Boomers with your payment.
Please let us know if we can be of assistance.
Mrs. Rosenblum and Mrs. Tarasiuk
Principal Assistant Principal